Women of The Walking Dead

Sasha and Rosita

At the start of The Walking Dead , the women's roles were generally supportive to the men. in that way the series mirrored The disaster movie formula of the 1970s where women were decorative, weak and in need of saving.
Now in series seven, the zombie apocalypse has seen a blossoming of woman power as the likes of Maggie takes the leadership role in  Hilltop and Jadis and the women of Oceanside effectively run the two other communities adjacent to the saviour stronghold.
Carol, now out of her fugue is effectively second in command in Kingdom , Michonne remains a born warrior and Rick's main support in Alexandria and Rosita, a sexy stereotype from the comics has now been given a more substantial backstory where she admits teaming up with men, not for protection they may offer but for the skills they could teach her in survival. " Sex was a bonus" she tells Sasha, underlining that any " using" was done by her and not by the men , now all deceased.
It's an interesting twist.
In team Rick the women now outnumber the men ( a fact that doesn't bode well for Sasha) and with Jesus coming out...we now have four gay characters in the storylines too!



12 comments:

  1. The Walking Women are strong and can def take on any threat...I wish Sasha well but I'm worried about her future!! The "role call" on the originals left standing Carol is the only woman from series one...Maggie is a close second, Michonne, Sasha, then Rosita, and then the rest of the pack. I hope Jesus will be around a long time I think he will help Maggie a lot as she climbs the leadership ladder, and eventually with the baby if the baby makes the cut. What about Eugene? I think he likes his newly found fame as "Chief Engineer".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wont believe a word of it if he turns to be a hero....i am also afraid sasha will be killed in the finale.
      Nice to see rosita finally getting some acting time and some character development......carol is going to be kingdoms queen

      Delete
  2. Is it me or does Jadis give her best Tilda Swinton? And Tilda played Jadis, the White Witch in The Chronicles of Narnia. Or have I had to much gin tonight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol not enough gin me thinks ..i kinda like jadis but hate all this economical speaking shit.....doesnt ring true

      Delete
  3. Well, that's interesting .... Jesus coming out. I hadn't a clue, though I absolutely adore Jesus and will continue to do so. I haven't watched any of the new season, since I heard they were going to kill Glen. They not only killed G but Abraham as well, so I can't handle the stress of anymore of Neagan until after the fact. Once I know Neagan is defeated, Rick is safe, Michonne is safe, I'll go back and catch up. Hopefully, Jesus also makes it out alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont hold your breath for Spencer, Olivia , either!

      Delete
  4. Jesus came out? Who knew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I told the husband at the start of the season that it seemed as if it was a woman power theme. Women are ruthless when their worlds are threatened. Carol couldn't remain isolated and let the world go to hell in a handbasket.

    Frankly, I've never cared about the sexuality of the characters. It's about how the individual survives and carries on for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jesus is just delicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am rooting for Carol to show everyone how it's done (and hoping she does not die doing it). And glad they gave dimension to Rosita.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad Carol has her MOJO back and is ready to kick a......

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes